How to write an exceptional 5-star review reply
Recently we analyzed the percentage of app store review replies across 35 million random app reviews. Of the users who took the time to write a dedicated 5 star review, only 8% were provided with a reply of thanks and/or gratitude.
Incredible opportunity exists to stand out from competition with exceptional 5-star review replies. In this article we analyze 5-star review replies to unpack the components of the ultimate response.
In this overview you'll learn:
- Ugly 5-star reviews reply examples
- Exceptional 5-star review reply examples
- Conclusion: How AI Replies can help
Want to generate best-practice review replies in seconds?Try Appbot AI Replies, free for 14 days →
Ugly 5-star reviews reply examples
Whilst replies to 5 star reviews are set with great intention by app teams and developers, some replies leave reviewers with a bad taste in their mouth. These are the replies that ask for additional reviews on other platforms, additional information or mention any negative information.
Here are some examples of what we've seen over the years:
- "Thanks for the 5-star review! We are so glad you liked our product/service. Can you please leave a review on our other platforms too?"
- "Wow, thank you for the 5-star review! We're glad you liked our product/service, but if you could also leave a review on [competitor's platform], that would be great too."
- "Thank you for the 5-star review! Can you please specify what you liked about our product/service in more detail? We're always looking to improve."
- "Thank you for the 5-star review! We're glad you liked our product/service, but we're sorry to hear that you had [negative experience mentioned in review]. Can you please contact our support team to resolve this issue?"
- "Thank you for the 5-star review! We're glad you liked our product/service, but please note that [negative information about product/service]. We hope you continue to enjoy using it!"
The reviewer has already made the effort to write a 5 star review. Asking for additional information is not required at this level.
Exceptional 5-star review reply examples
Excellent 5-star reviews share one common underlying message to readers - that the reviewer's positive feedback is highly valued and recognised.
Here are some examples of what we've seen at Appbot:
- “Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying our product/service and appreciate your feedback. Keep it coming!"
- "We are so glad to hear that you love our product! Thank you for taking the time to leave a 5-star review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated."
- "Thank you for the fantastic review! We put a lot of effort into making our product/service as user-friendly and enjoyable as possible, so we are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying it. Thanks again for the support!"
- "Thank you for the glowing review! We are grateful for your kind words and are pleased to know that our product/service has exceeded your expectations. Thank you for choosing us!"
- "We are overjoyed to read your 5-star review! Thank you for your kind words and for supporting our product/service. We truly appreciate your feedback and are always striving to improve."
Based on the replies above, let's look at components that make up an exceptional 5 star review:
- Expression of thanks and gratitude for the review.
- Rehash of the reviewer's enjoyment of the product or service.
- Expression of thanks for choosing the brand.
You'll notice these reviews consist of at least 2 sentences and not less than 25 words. More energy and effort is perceived in these replies than generic replies like “Thank you for your 5 star review” and “Thanks so much”.
For bonus points, you might also consider these ideas to incorporate into your 5-star review responses:
- Use the reviewer's username in the reply, for personalization.
- If the reviewer mentioned a specific feature of your app, that they really love, make a reference to it. This shows that your team actually read the review, understood it, and will make use of that feedback.
- Mention what you plan to do with the review information, if there was enough detail for it to be actionable. For example, you might mention “We have shared this awesome feedback with the team who built [feature X].”
Adding these details, rather than always replying with just boilerplate copy, demonstrates that the time the user took to leave the review was valued. Personalized responses are much more memorable!
Conclusion: How AI Replies can help
The way in which app teams and developers address 5-star review replies should be considered early and formed part of the business app reply strategy.
Formulating a clear set of guidelines for your support team to use when generating replies to 5 star reviews is highly recommended. Be sure to make your reply unique, include an expression of thanks and a direct reference to any specific praise the reviewer gave. The best replies also include personalization and an outline of how the information the reviewer provided will be useful to your team.
We know how time consuming it can be to write excellent replies. To improve the quality and efficiency of your 5-star review response campaign you might like to try Appbot's AI Replies feature. Our AI has been specifically trained to include as many feature of the ideal reply as possible, every time. Each response is unique and as personalized as we can make it.
If only 8% of 5 star reviews are replied to across the app stores, this represents a great opportunity to stand out from competition by showcasing quality engagement with customers.
Keep track of your reviews with Appbot's Review Aggregator - designed for businesses to analyze and respond to their mobile app reviews and Amazon product Reviews.
Where to from here?
- Simplify app review management: Harness the power of a review aggregator for seamless feedback consolidation.
- Uncover the true sentiment: Dive into app review sentiment analysis to understand user feedback at a deeper level.
- Increase your review count: Utilize strategic app review prompts to encourage users to share their experiences.
- Master the art of response: Learn the best practices for crafting an impactful app review reply to engage with your audience effectively.
About The Author
Estelle leads digital marketing at Appbot. She enjoys pina coladas, browsing amazon.com and can do her hair in record time when an unexpected Zoom meeting is dropped on her.
Enjoying the read? You may also like these
Want to learn WHEN to prompt an app review? See our advice after talking to thousands of mobile app developers on best techniques for IOS and Android apps.
Are App Store subscriptions better than one-off in-app purchases? Read about our subscription pricing experiments to the first $1k in MRR.
5-star review replies should be formed part of the business app reply strategy. Learn what makes up the components of an exceptional 5-star review reply.
When an app has a low rating, it can have a number of negative consequences for both the app developer and the users of the app.